National Credit Act, 2005 (Act No. 34 of 2005)
Chapter 7 : Dispute Settlement other than debt enforcement
Part A : Alternative dispute resolution

134. Alternative dispute resolution

1)        As an alternative to filing a complaint with the National Credit Regulator in terms of section 136, a person may refer a matter that could be the subject of such a complaint as follows:

a)        If the credit provider concerned is a financial institution as defined in the Financial Services Ombud Schemes Act, 2004 (Act No. 37 of 2004), the matter-

i)          may be referred only to the ombud with jurisdiction to resolve a complaint or settle a matter involving that credit provider, as determined in accordance with sections 13 and 14 of that Act; and

ii)         must be procedurally resolved as if it were a complaint in terms of that Act; or

b)        if the credit provider is not a financial institution, as defined in the Financial Services Ombud Schemes Act, 2004 (Act No. 37 of 2004), the matter may be referred to either-

i)          a consumer court, for resolution in accordance with this Act and the provincial legislation establishing that consumer court; or

ii)         an alternative dispute resolution agent, for resolution by conciliation, mediation or arbitration.


2)        The respondent in a matter referred to an alternative dispute resolution agent under subsection (1)(b)(ii) may object to that referral in writing within 10 business days, in which case-

a)        the matter may not be resolved by an alternative dispute resolution agent;

b)        if the matter is the proper subject of a complaint to the National Credit Regulator, the matter is deemed to have been filed as a complaint in terms of section 136; or

c)        if the matter is the proper subject of an application to the Tribunal, the matter is deemed to have been an application directly to the Tribunal in terms of section 137.


3)        The Tribunal, after considering a matter in terms of a deemed application under subsection (2)(c), may make an exceptional order of costs against the respondent if the Tribunal considers that the matter could have been properly resolved by conciliation, mediation or arbitration carried out in good faith.


4)        In respect of any dispute between a credit provider and a consumer that could be the subject of an application to the Tribunal in terms of this Act, other than Part C of this Chapter, the consumer or credit provider, before either may apply directly to the Tribunal-

a)        must attempt to resolve that matter directly between themselves; and

b)        if unable to do so, must refer the matter-

i)          to the ombud with jurisdiction, for resolution in accordance with this Act and in terms of the Financial Services Ombud Schemes Act, 2004 (Act No. 37 of 2004), if the credit provider concerned is a financial institution and a participant in a recognised scheme as defined in that Act; or

ii)         in any other case, to either-

aa)      a consumer court, for resolution in accordance with this Act and the provincial legislation establishing that consumer court; or

bb)      an alternative dispute resolution agent, for resolution by conciliation, mediation or arbitration.


5)        If an alternative dispute resolution agent concludes that either party to conciliation, mediation or arbitration in terms of subsection (4)(b)(ii)(bb) is not participating in that process in good faith, or that there is no reasonable probability of the parties resolving their dispute through that process, the alternative dispute resolution agent must issue a certificate in the prescribed form stating that the process has failed.

135. Dispute resolution may result in consent order

1)        The ombud with jurisdiction, consumer court or alternative dispute resolution agent that has resolved, or assisted parties in resolving, a dispute in terms of this Part may-

a)        record the resolution of that dispute in the form of an order, and

b)        if the parties to the dispute consent to that order, submit it to-

i)          a court to be made a consent order, in terms of its rules; or

ii)         the Tribunal to be made a consent order in terms of section 138.


2)        The National Credit Regulator may not intervene before the Tribunal in respect of a consent order submitted in terms of this section.

Debt Counsellors

Marsia Kuypers

Tel: 082 396 2568

Fax: 086 556 3328

Area: Pretoria

Jan-Viljoen Coetzee

Tel: 084 549 1755

Fax: 086 621 9193

Area: Nina Park

Valerie Nakale

Tel: 018 381 8768

Fax: 018 381 8604

Area: Mafikeng

Dean Morris

Tel: 083 645 4094

Fax: 031 763 4363

Area: La Lucia

Joana Vivier

Tel: 053 832 6229

Fax: 086 543 4640

Area: Kimberley

Jacques Jooste

Tel: 011 794 7555

Fax: 011 794 9965

Area: Johannesburg

Marlene Stein

Tel: 012 667 4177

Fax: 086 527 2203

Area: Irene

Heidi Naude

Tel: 044 873 0281

Fax: 086 512 5012

Area: George

Herbert Theron

Tel: 011 472 0088

Fax: 086 655 6730

Area: Florida

Isabe Landman

Tel: 041 933 1189

Fax: 086 591 2676

Area: Despatch

Andiswa Tinto

Tel: 021 431 9134

Fax: 086 523 7084

Area: Cape Town

Jaco Janse Van Rensburg

Tel: 082 568 4969

Fax: 086 645 0389

Area: Barberton

Monique Snyders

Tel: 032 946 3024

Fax: 086 588 4605

Area: Ballito

Christopher Beukes

Tel: 084 2577599

Fax: 021 637 5023

Area: Athlone

Lydia Kinnear

Tel: 082 824 6338

Fax: 086 537 5976

Area: Annlin

Anlizette Schuurman

Tel: 031 903 3840

Fax: 031 701 5570

Area: Amanzimtoti

Kelebogile Mooketsi

Tel: 082 299 3430

Fax: 086 695 3280

Area: Amandasig

Annerie Marais

Tel: 083 703 0486

Fax: 045 838 6572

Area: Aliwall North

Rerandzo Mokgwatlheng

Tel: 082 430 6329

Fax: 011 805 8348

Area: Alexandra Township

Daniel Lezar

Tel: 011 907 1022

Fax: 011 907 1490

Area: Alberton